Crazy For Costco
We LOVE Costco. We are very sad when there is no Costco nearby…because we do the bulk of our shopping there. If you eat a diet that is high in fruits and veggies, Costco should be a very close friend. No, not everything is organic…but several things are, and they are adding more all the time. I wish we could eat a 100% organic diet…our budget would be through the roof! I do try to focus on the items I know to be very high in pesticides that we eat on a daily basis, like spinach and apples. Items like avocados and broccoli are not heavily sprayed crops, so I’m not as concerned. For more info on the “dirty dozen”, click here.
Here are a few of the items we buy there:
- Organic spinach (1 lb): This is the number one “best buy” for us at Costco. It ranges in price from $2.99 – $3.99….which is a far cry from $6.99-$7.99 at Whole Foods.
- Romaine lettuce: Who can beat that deal? 6 pack for $2.99. They are the BEST. Perfect for salads and juicing.
- Avocados: Costco has the best. Hands down. The biggest, creamiest, yummiest…at a good price.
- Watermelon: Oooooh, just typing that word makes me happy. We LIVE on these in the summer…and Costco has consistently provided me with yummy, red, and juicy specimens. It’s pretty rare that I get a bad one, but if I do, they have a 100% guarantee on everything they sell. I’m thinking of calling up the local produce manager and finding out when they are going to be stocking these so I can be camped outside their door in my tent that morning.
- Broccoli/Brussels/Asparagus: Yum.
- Medjool dates: Again, best quality I’ve found…but WAY cheaper than other places.
- Apples: Not all Costcos have organic apples, but when we find them, we stock up. Their organic red delicious variety is 89 cents per pound right now at the Austin, TX location.
- Blueberries/Strawberries/Raspberries: We buy blueberries on a regular basis and the others once in a while.
- Oranges: We buy the 25 lbs.box for $8.99.
- Grape tomatoes – “Cherubs”: These are pesticide-free and delicious.
- Bananas: $1.29 per bunch.
- Nuts: Almonds, walnuts, pecans, and pine nuts. These are priced VERY competitively. This is the only place I will buy nuts.
- Pineapples: Not too much cheaper, but they are always big and ripe.
- Frozen fruit: Their Spectrum Blend is my favorite smoothie mix….you get double the amount that you can get anywhere else for the same price.
- Pure maple syrup: Great price/large container.
- Organic corn chips: Big cheap bag.
- Bread: Organic and/or whole wheat. 2 loaves for $5.99 or so. They also have bakery loaves of crusty bread for soup, etc.
- Silk soy milk: If you drink soy milk, it’s a great buy. You can get a 3 pack of 1/2 gallons for $5.99.
- Organic bean/cheese frozen burritos: Matt and Bella love these. Much cheaper than buying individually.
- Other items we occasionally buy: Organic quiche, frozen OJ, Starbucks coffee…I know I’m forgetting other stuff.
What are your Costco favorites?