Happy Foody Green Smoothie Challenge – 2009
Last year I launched the Happy Foody 30 Day Green Smoothie Challenge…it was a huge success and helped many people change their eating habits. SO…we’re going to do it AGAIN! It’s the perfect time to kick start a healthier you…summer is coming to a close soon and fall upon us. Seasons are changing…and you can change too! Adding a green smoothie to your day is the BEST thing you can do to get on the path to a healthier you. When you drink a big green smoothie in the morning, it fills your body’s need for those vital nutrients to function throughout the day. You will slowly STOP CRAVING junk food. It’s like magic!
We will begin on August 17 and end on September 17. Here is what you are committing to:
- Drink at least 16 oz. of green smoothie per day (a quart would be even better!)
- Do some sort of activity every day. This could be an intense workout, or just dancing with your kids around the living room. It could be a 15 minute yoga session or a walk around the block.
- Add a green leafy salad to your lunch or supper (with light dressing…stay away from the creamier sauces).
- Stop drinking pop.
- Cut out all white sugar.
So who is in?! Leave a comment below with your intention and watch your life change. Feel free to grab the little icon from above and link it back to this post. Tell your friends. Tell your co-workers. Tell your family. Get yourself a green smoothie buddy. Can’t wait to hear your stories!
Be sure to join our Facebook group here for additional motivation and inspiration.
So, HOW do I do this green smoothie thing?
The most common question I am asked on this blog is: “What do you put in your green smoothies?” Here is my favorite “recipe”:
Frozen mixed fruit
One peeled orange
TONS of baby spinach
Water to blend
We usually make a full Vita-Mix of this each morning (approximately 2 quarts). Watch the video below to see me make my smoothies!
If you’re wanting a few more options for green smoothies, be sure to check out Kevin Gianni’s new smoothie book. I recently bought both the eBook and the hard copy and I LOVE it! So often, smoothie books call for yogurt, cow’s milk, etc. The recipes in his book are completely raw vegan. Awesome. Kevin didn’t just write a bunch of recipes, He asked over 20 leading health experts what their favorite smoothies were, tested them and now has compiled them into a book of over 165 great tasting recipes. Now you can find out what Victoria Boutenko, Doug Graham, Ani Phyo, Mike Adams, David Wolfe, Angela Stokes and more, blend up in their Vita-Mix when they’re in need for a meal or a quick snack! It also has tons of fun information about different superfoods, fruits/veggies, nutrients, etc.
If you do this challenge, I guarantee you will see changes in your body and your mind. Check out the testimonials of readers who participated last year:
We did the challenge as a family. Here’s what we noticed:
At the end of January, I decided to finally go vegetarian and to cut out dairy. I started green smoothies about two weeks later so my observations must fairly be based on both of those changes.
- I lost 14 pounds.
- Despite losing weight, my milk production definitely increased.
- My toddler happily slurps approximately a pint of green smoothie every day.
- My elimination, which has been really erratic since my children were born, is completely healthy and normal now.
- My skin glows and is completely clear.
- My husband’s dark eye circles are much lighter and his allergies (environmental) haven’t been bothering him.
- My husband reports more energy during his work day without having to rely on caffeine.
- Everyone around us is getting bad colds and flus and we are healthy. Only the baby had the sniffles for a couple of days but it never got worse than that and went away quickly.
- I don’t need nearly as much food to satisfy me as I used to and my cravings for “bad” food are gone. I don’t even think in terms of bad or good anymore. There’s food (whole plant food) and not-food (animal products, packaged junk food, paper, dirt, etc) I would no sooner eat a hamburger than I would a shoe.
- For me, it was the perfect jump start to being “successfully raw”, to take a page from Karen Knowler. For me and my family, that’s around 75% raw.
I just feel so good. I can’t thank you enough for being the impetus to finally DO this. I turn 30 next week and I am so excited to be moving into my best health ever. How’s that? All blessedly true!
We have been doing the smoothie challenge for about a month now. I
have to say that this is the best thing we have ever done for our
family. I notice a big difference if I have missed a day or two. I
think in the past month, I have only broken out with ONE pimple, and
that was stress-induced (the in-laws were flying in). Thank you for
introducing the Green Smoothie to our family. Your blogs and pictures
are always so inspiring. I consider you a friend, and I’ve never even
met you! Hopefully one day our paths will cross. Take care, and God
bless you and your family!
Has it been 30 days already? I just wanted to thank you for getting me started on green smoothies. I had a rough start (some major detox going on), but this is a habit I plan on keeping. I am AMAZED at how my sugar cravings are kept at bay just by having a green smoothie for breakfast. I strive to eat raw until dinner…some days I do it, some days I don’t, but all in all, the green smoothie at the beginning of my day sets me on a healthier path for the rest of the day.
A few benefits I’ve noticed…
- F ewer sugar cravings
- My hair looks much healthier
- I don’t feel bloated or have digestive issues, and perhaps the most rewarding…
- My husband and my baby are on a green smoothie kick too! We still can’t get our toddler on board, although every now and then he’ll drink a little bit of a “pink green smoothie”.
Anyhow, thanks again for helping my family to start a healthy new habit! I am now exploring more raw foods and, while I’m not yet ready to go 100% raw, I definitely am ready to start incorporating more raw foods into my diet!