While we were in beautiful San Diego in May, we enjoyed some delicious raw food at “Cilantro Live!”. They have three locations in the San Diego area…and the closest one to us was the Hillcrest location. Situated within a cute little neighborhood in the heart of the city, Clilantro has a very open and relaxed feel. The entire front of the restaurant is open to the sidewalk, and the wall of green plants make it feel so fresh and fun.
My parents were in San Diego with us as well, and luckily they are very adventurous with food and have already been to the Ecopolitan with me in Minneapolis. They were excited to check it out. My mom’s very favorite food is cilantro, so that was a good sign.
We tried a good variety of things from their menu:
- Cilantro Live Soup: “warm avocado and cilantro broth topped with diced tomatoes”
- Cheeseburger: “our home made burger patty made of sun-dried tomatoes, flax seeds, bell peppers, garlic, & mushrooms served on an almond pulp & buckwheat bun. with freshly-made cashew cheese, ketchup, mustard, mayo, lettuce, tomato, & onions.”
- Entree Sampler: “two nori rolls (“daikon, bell peppers, cucumbers, avocado, wild rice, & a pine nut pate. served with a japanese dipping sauce”), one spring roll (“broccoli sprouts, red & yellow peppers, cilantro, mint, cabbage, avocado, & jicama wrapped in find sun-dried rice paper. served with a hoisen dipping sauce”), one buenos vida wrap (“cilantro pate, wild rice, & house nut cheese, topped with salsa fresca”), two rawviolis (“thinly sliced roma tomatoes stuffed with pine nut-basil cheese & pesto sauce”) & two mini pizzas (“sun-dried tomato sauce on a crisp multi-seed crust, topped with onions, olives, & house nut cheese”) … served with a house salad.
- Walnut Fig Wrap: “walnut & fig pate topped with tri-colored onions, tomato, & olives”
- Pizazza Wrap: “sun-dried tomato pate, tri-colored onions, red bell peppers, olives, & house nut cheese”
- Rawberry Shortcake: “with a scoop of vanilla cashew ice cream & coconut flakes”
- Carrot Cake
- Banana Split
- Cacao Mousse
- Several scoops of vanilla cashew ice cream with strawberries on top for Bella
Yes, we enjoyed it ALL. My favorite was definitely the “rawviolis”…so rich and delicious. And of course, the desserts were amazing 🙂 In fact, we went back the next day just for more desserts! Yum! yum. I also really enjoyed the little pots of wheatgrass on each table. It made me feel ALIVE just looking at them! 🙂 The next time you get to San Diego…make it a point to dine at Cilantro!
Click here to view the photo album from our visit.
Entry filed under: Uncategorized.