Drinking Plant Blood
I juiced up some red deliciousness today in my Breville Compact Juice Fountain and I just had to share it with you! It was SO good…sweet and just a little tart. And of course, yummy. The beets made it taste really different than my normal green lemonade…much sweeter. Here is what I included:
- 2 apples (whole, with cores)
- 1 meyer lemon (peeled)
- small chunk of ginger
- 1 head of romaine
- Large handful of leaf lettuce
- 2 small beets (golf ball size)
I’ve had lots of questions about the difference between juicing and blending. And even though I’ve posted about this before, I’m going to post it again.
Blending keeps all of the fiber in, whereas juicing takes it out. That’s the only difference…and there are benefits to both. I look at juicing as a “supplement”….or almost a “treat”. I don’t juice everyday…probably 2-3 times a week…all with GREEN juices. I do BLEND every day though with my green smoothie. Juicing offers the added benefit of “instant” assimilation in to the body…which is why you might get a “juice high” after you drink it!
- Both green juices and smoothies are highly alkaline…and disease cannot survive in an alkaline environment. They do LOVE an acid environment though…and 3 acid forming foods are meat, dairy, coffee.
- Both green juices and smoothies have chlorophyll, which increases the flow of oxygen in our blood/body, which in turn, creates an aerobic environment where disease cannot thrive.
- Both green juices and smoothies enable you to eat A LOT more greens at one time than you normally would.
This list could go on and on…but you get the idea. Juicing has a purpose and blending has a purpose…although they are very similar.
The main reason why someone who is sick (with cancer or other disease) should juice is because it takes the LEAST AMOUNT OF ENERGY from the body to digest. Even green smoothies take more energy because the fiber needs to be digested. When you can take away the energy need for digestion, it leaves your body more energy to HEAL. This goes for raw food in general, but it’s particularly applicable when fighting disease. You want to free up as much energy as possible to heal the body.
I do think both should be incorporated in one’s diet…however, if you can only afford one machine right now, get a blender and save up for the juicer 🙂